It’s tempting to say the most frequently asked questions new clients ask you.
You wouldn’t be wrong of course but there’s more to it than that.
There are a few questions you really wish potential clients would ask. Their answers would save you a lot of hassle and wasted time if only they’d been covered before contact was made.
Your FAQ page provides you with the opportunity to do just that.
In the list below I’ve brought together 56 of the most common questions found on architecture practice websites in the UK. Some of the questions you’ll notice are ones you’re frequently asked whilst others are ones you wish were.
As with any business, new or potential clients often don’t know the best questions to ask.
Select at least a dozen questions you think will be of most benefit to first-time visitors genuinely interested in hiring your architectural services, then answer them in a reasonable amount of detail.
I’ve categorised the list into different sections, which I’d advise you to do for your FAQ page as well.
Here we go:
• What does an architect actually do?
• Why do I need an architect?
• What’s the largest project you’ve ever worked on?
• Where can you work?
• Can you work with clients long distance?
• Would I be better off using an Architectural Technician for smaller projects?
• Will you be able to design the style of building I want?
• What is the structure of your architecture practice?
• What advantages do you have over a larger architectural practice? (for solo-architects)
• Can I contact you outside of business hours?
• Why should we use you and not a local architect?
• Where do I begin?
• What happens during our initial meeting?
• What if I’m not sure what I want?
• How involved will I be?
• What other professionals (contractors) might I need on our project?
• How often do you visit the site as work is being done?
• What kind of follow up support do we receive?
• What type of projects do you do?
• Do you work with interior designers?
• What type of surveys will you carry out?
• What is the minimum level of service you provide?
• Do you offer residential/commercial architectural services?
• Do you work on listed buildings?
• Can you manage the project?
• How can I manage the project myself?
Rules and Regulations
• What is the difference between planning permission and building regulation approvals?
• Planning permission, what do I need to know?
• How long does it usually take to get planning permission?
• What are some of the statutory authorities and policies relating to architecture in the county/country?
• Will you deal with the Planning and Building Control Services of the local authority?
• What’s involved in getting my project approved?
• How can I qualify for a Lawful Development Certificate?
• What is the Right of Light?
• What is a Conservation Area?
• What is the Party Wall legislation all about?
• Do I require any other permissions?
• What is Indemnity Insurance?
• Does my extension need planning permission?
• Are there different planning rules for a listed building?
• Do I need planning permission for a loft conversion?
• Can you guarantee you’ll get planning permission for us?
• Can I get grant assistance?
• What exactly is included in your fees?
• How do architects charge for their services?
• How much will my plans cost?
• Do you ask for any payments in advance?
• Are your site visits free?
• Can you save me money?
• Are you VAT registered?
• How can I check an architect is genuine?
• What are the ARB and RIBA?
• How do I find and select a good builder?
• How detailed are your drawings?
• Will you provide all necessary structural information?
• Can you ensure my project is environmentally sustainable?
Are there any more frequently asked questions you can think of architects are often presented with? If so, share some in the comments section below and I’ll add them to the list if applicable.
Creative Commons image attributions: Nakae Architects – NE Apartment – Model 01 from Forgemind ArchiMedia